12.07.2006

I had a Dream

Tonight, I had a dream.

It was so vivid, so real, so clear that I KNEW that I had to get up immediately and get it down before it retreated to the corners of my mind.

I dreamed that it was 1960 and that I was at a rally for Wilma Rudolph to encourage her and support her participation in the 1960 Olympics.

Speaker after speaker got up and proudly spoke solemn words of encouragement honoring the young runner.

I held my breath as the next speaker was announced. It was Coretta Scott King. Mrs. King in all her stately glory glided to the podium, removed her gloves and set them to the side. Then she eagerly leaned into the mike and with as much power and as might as she could muster, she yelled into the mike with a voice full of joy and and enthusiasm,

"RUN LIKE YOU'RE THE GREATEST!
RUN LIKE YOU'RE THE GREATEST!
RUN LIKE YOU'RE THE GREATEST!"

The crowd went wild.

Coretta Scott King said nothing further.

She politely gathered her gloves from the podium top, and in her trademark queenly manner swiftly left the podium where she was quickly ushered into a waiting car, to the still celebrating crowd.

Now, I don't know what made me dream about 1960, Wilma Rudolph or Coretta Scott King. 1960 was 12 years before I was born. My mother was 6 years old when Wilma Rudolph set Olympic records and brought home three gold medals. And from what I have read of the wife of the great Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. such an unrestrained outburst was not a part of her very dignified public persona.

But what I do know is that I had a dream and that I woke up wanting to run.

So whatever goals I am reaching for, whatever duties I am tasked with, whatever job I must complete, and in every area of my life, even the smallest things, I know that I must approach each single and collective effort like I'm the greatest!!!

2 comments:

Lola Gets said...

I always remember the dreams I have in the early morning before I awake. And they are some of the most jacked up things anyone has ever seen. The last dream I remember was about being pregnant and having a baby. And cause Im now in my 30s, it wasnt a stressful event, but a pleasant one. Be great if it were any close to being fulfilled. Im starting to hate dreaming, lol.

Tazzee said...

That was a powerful dream and definitely a personal message for you.

So RUN SJEA - RUN LIKE YOU'RE THE GREATEST!