8.17.2011

Feelings about Public Assistance

And as one who grew up in an under the income limit household that qualified for benefits, I can promise you that we were not living "high on the hog."  The assistance that came in as WIC and government food subsidies (gubment cheese) and food stamps was used to stretch what money my grandmother had.

I didn't own a pair of name brand ANYthing that didn't come from a garage sale or the white lady across town or a pair of shoes that did not come from TG&Y or Payless until I had a job and bought them myself.

In the summertime, I wasn't playing and sleeping in and watching cartoons.  My grandmother had us in the fields, picking peas and butter beans and canning in the afternoons and riding up and down dirt roads, picking up aluminum cans.

So, the thought process that EVERY welfare recipient is lazy and good for nothing and doesn't deserve it doesn't necessarily fly with me.

No comments: