1.13.2005

Body Blows

Life is a like a championship boxing match.

Any decent fighter knows that you should step in the ring in top physical condition, with a good trainer in your corner and with a strategy for how you will defeat your opponent.

Good fighters are light on their feet and are able to duck, dodge and fend off the uppercuts and jabs from their opponent. They know that sometimes all it takes is a quick blow when your guard is down to not only knock you off your feet, but to knock you out and take you down for the count.

But the best fighters are the ones that know how to take a hit and keep on fighting. And I'm not just talking about the left jab that will open up a cut over your eye or the right uppercut to the jaw that will leave you unsteady for a moment. I'm talking about the punishing body blows that wound you on the inside - the ones that will slowly sap your energy and leave you thanking God at the bell signalling the end of round three and make you unable to push up from the stool as the bell ding-dings for a new round.

Then there are the times when you have to deal with the below the belt blows that are liable to take the wind out of your sails leaving you lightheaded and gasping for the next breath to sustain your life.

I am taking some serious blows right now. Mentally, emotionally and financially.

But I am a prize fighter and I know the source of my strength.

So, while it may be that the last round went to my opponent, I have no doubt that at the end of this bout I will raise my hands in victory and the championship belt will belong to me.


No comments: